Entering is free!
Call for entries will be released May 5th, 2017 via social media. On May 19, 2017 at 12pm ET a new set of letters will be available to meet demand.
Entries are open to all Designers (18+ years) including Book Artists, Paper Engineers and MBS members. You do not have to be a member of The MBS to submit.
Book Artists must be aware that if their design is selected, it will be mass-produced.
If the Jury selects your design for inclusion, you will receive a complimentary copy of A to Z: Marvels in Paper Engineering which will be promoted online across several platforms.
Artists will retain all copyrights to their submitted designs but The MBS will retain the copyrights for the produced A to Z: Marvels in Paper Engineering
How to Enter!
The 26 letters are assigned on a first come, first serve basis. Entries are limited to
TWO different letters per paper engineer*. As of May 19, 2017 at 12pm ET, each designer is allowed to request only ONE letter. Visit https://mbsatoz.wordpress.com/ for letter availability and updates.
Artists must email movablebooksociety (at) gmail.com to confirm the letter(s) that they would like to submit to the jury for consideration.
If a letter already has
two three designers assigned to it, then the entrant will be directed to consider other available letters to choose from.
Awarded letter(s) will be announced via email within 5 business days to each entrant who inquires.
Once an entrant’s choice(s) is approved, they may start designing and submit their final entries to the jury. ALL ENTRIES MUST ARRIVE TO THE JURY BY 7/31/17.
After letter confirmation from The MBS, each applicant must complete a submission form (found at www.movablebooksociety.org) for each individual entry which includes the following information:
- Why you picked your specific letter. (1-2 sentences)
- A paragraph that describes your vision behind your design, which will be featured on the back of the pop-up if your design is selected. (70 words or less)
- A clear description of the proposed finishes and production details for your design.
- A 300dpi b/w or color JPEG headshot that is no smaller than 4”x 6”, which will be featured on the back of the pop-up if your design is selected.
- An Artist Bio that helps the jury know a little bit more about you. (150 words or less)
If an entry requires specialized production or assembly, the internal pop-up component(s) in question may be produced by a specialized vendor and then be supplied to the designated vendor to assemble into the pop-up spread for full production. These types of entries will be judged on a case-by-case basis, as additional production cost may need to be considered.
If your submission is selected, you will need to release the following for production:
- 4 prototypes (1- for MBS master copy and 3- for vendor quotes)
- Complete digital production-ready files for art and die lines, supplied in Illustrator.
- Further details will be provided to selected Paper Engineers at time of notification.
All un-selected entries will be returned to entrants.